Saturday, June 7, 2014

A Slice of Cake

The other day in my math class, two Junior girls walked in and gave my teacher a slice of cake. My teacher thanked them, and once they left, he immediately put it in his closet. He explained himself by saying that he hates eating in front of other people that aren't eating. Multiple people told them that they didn't care, and as the class broke out in chatter about it, I said, to no one in particular, "Eh I'm used to it." One girl turned around to me with a dropped jaw and said to me "Aw Allison, that's so sad...!"

But that statement was not meant to be sad or make it seem like I wanted pity. It was a simple side comment that was nothing but a fact. I think that's something that not a lot of people understand. Sure, having food allergies can be emotional, but for me, its just become a way of life. It has never been any other way for me, and honestly, I don't want it any other way right now. I've learned so much about myself because of the situations and experiences I've had with my food allergies; if I was ever given the opportunity to restart my life without them, I would never take it. I eventually want to grow out of my food allergies, the sooner the better, but who wouldn't? However, I wouldn't ask for them to have never existed.

I know I've written this before, but when I was younger and didn't yet understand that food allergies have shaped my life, I frequently asked my mom, "why me?" She always reassured me with a simple statement: that there's a special plan for me and that someday it would make sense. As I've gotten older and matured, it all does make sense now. I find myself excited to inspire others to be who they are despite their food allergies, because no matter what labels we have to read or foods we have to avoid, we are normal, every-day people, just like everyone else. I recently reached over 10,000 page views on my blog, and it suddenly became apparent to me: this is my special plan. This blog and all of my readers, despite their small numbers, are part of why my I'm here. Because even though I may not have hundreds of readers everyday, if I help one person and inspire one life, then this is all worth it.

Thank you guys for helping me find my purpose.

-Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment